Why would you homeschool your child?
Why Do People Choose to Homeschool?
The most common reasons for parents and carers choosing to homeschool a child are:
- The child’s health issues, particularly mental health issues – for example, anxiety, school phobia, separation anxiety, or depression
- Special educational needs not being met within the school system – for example, dyslexia, autism, or gifted and talented needs
- The child being bullied (either by peers or their teachers)
- The child’s unwillingness or inability to go to school
- As a short-term intervention for a particular reason
- The parent’s ideological or philosophical views – for example, they might support the concept of ‘unlearning’
- Dissatisfaction with the school system – for example, disliking the National Curriculum, believing that children start school too early, or that the school system does not suit their child
- Distance to a local school.